Parent Category: Democracy and Rule of Law
Category: New Accusatory Criminal Justice System
- On June 18th, 16 the Adversarial Criminal Justice System and the National Code of Criminal Proceedings entered into force at the local and federal levels.
- This is the most important legal reform in Mexico in the last 100 years.
- The System was designed to be implemented in a step-by-step approach: it contemplated 8 years from its implementation to its consolidation. The consolidation process will take approximately 6 years.
- Trial rooms have been created for the Oral Criminal Proceedings to ensure the hearings take place in a safe and comfortable environment.
- Early Attention Units, alternative justice centers, Investigation Units, and Units for the Precautionary Measures have been assigned with this new System.
- There are also indicators to measure progress made in the implementation of the System and its results.
- Public officers have been trained under this new System (including judges, prosecutors, technical experts and prison staff, among others).
- Almost all of the police officers in Federal States and municipalities have been trained.